21 October 2013

[Opinion] N.O. to Studying?

At the risk of sounding very, very nerdy and... old, I present this entry. Be aware that this is entirely my own opinion.

I was flipping through KBSworld Youtube page, and was trying to watch Song Ji Eun's performance of Music Bank  except the part I that speed-buffered was halfway through Bangtan Boy's song entitled N.O. and I was.... mildly insulted by their theme.



Bangtan Boys (I'll call them BTS henceforth because that is their acronym, I believe) is one of the hottest rookies these past few months. Vomit-inducing stage names aside (like Rap Monster and J-Hope, excuse me for judging them based on the shallowest aspect), these young 'uns have been consistently performing songs that encourage their peers to not conform to general public expectations. Like....

Feel free to skip schools.
Why do we need to go to university?
What the hell is expensive cars and stable jobs are for?

Insert me and a jaw drop here.

I hope these kids are very young, because there is no way a normal youth/young adult/adult would sound so.... immature. So I took it upon myself to Google them up, and apparently the oldest is 21 and the youngest is 16. That... explains a lot actually.

I don't believe that school/university is a total waste of time. In fact, education can happen anywhere. But to blatantly dismiss a proven method of learning sounds very idealistic to me. Depending on the field you're pursuing, of course. Practicalities aside, there's always the technicalities that you have to learn of.

In my case, if a doctor relies only on books and dismisses the patients, then your practical skills rust away and you become very awkward at doing things that should only take 30 seconds (burn at this statement, self, you know it's for you). But you can't spot patients in need if you don't have basic knowledge about the diseases itself, so you still need to hit them darn books. It goes both ways, like a relationship :p

Which is why I was miffed at the song. It almost feels like they're dissing us the mere mortals who decidedly like studying, simply because we are doing things that conform to the society's expectations. Meanwhile, they are super cool because they are unpredictable and they choose their own paths in life.

Excuse me, you babies, I chose this kind of education, so don't patronize me. I may grumble every 30 seconds about said education, but it doesn't change the fact that it's something that I chose and I will darn well excel in this. Or... at least try to stay alive XD

Perhaps the way Korean parents are so darn uptight about education and public triumphs mold these kids into these rebellious children (yes, I will classify them as children, bite me). I get the vibe that they'll oppose their parents over every single thing, regardless of whether it is a good thing or not. Maybe I'm too pessimistic or cynical, and over-thinking it. I am of the belief that the elders are wiser, they know more, having been living here on Earth longer than I do, and it's worth it to insert their opinions into equations when doing something. I don't need to blindly follow them, there's a reason agreeing to disagree is an art. Making an informed decision is the key. How can you say you're covering all the bases when you reject an aspect that other people brings up at face value?

But since it's a Korean thing; to rank first in everything, it may explain why these rebellions exist. To be the prettiest, the wealthiest, the brainiest; almost like a chaebol. True chaebols are a dying breed in Korea, and now money rules all. Parents, older but maybe none the wiser, keeps on pressuring their child to be the best and not expecting anything lesser. I never understood it, and I probably will never, but this is probably the reason why N.O. exists.

And I'm a bit scared at the rate of new groups Kpop keep churning out with, because why would these people skip normal teen life just to earn money fast? I mean, I watch/read enough to know that idols/singers don't even make enough money for the first 2 years at least in the idoldom. They're actually in the negative during the first few years, especially if the public don't support them at least financially by buying albums and merchandises. It's common knowledge that the money comes from CFs and concerts, as opposed to albums and whatnot. And let's not even talk about the crazy workload, crazy working conditions, crazy contracts, and crazy fans. Feel free to add more crazy ______ after that.

Plus lately the idol wave is starting to wilt; public seemingly to appreciate the soloists more. Which... is probably a reason why K-companies are more adamant about World Domination :O Everything; the concepts, the images, the lyrics; they're all garnered to suck their claws into fangirls and not let them leave forever. Don't get me wrong, I love me idols, but lately the fans are all the young 'uns who can't even appreciate differences in opinions even online.

I'm not even articulating this issue properly. I should sleep. And maybe sort out my train of thoughts. :/

In the meantime, BTS gets a minus from me, especially because they advocate skipping school. I don't love school all that much, but even I know that it helps in shaping my soft skills. Then again, these kids are the ones who are passionate about performing on stages, not to be strapped and restricted by common society. That makes me a total opposite of them.

(AND HOW CAN I EVEN STAN KIDS WHO ARE BARELY LEGAL, FOREVER JUDGING MY FRIENDS FOR THIS) 

No comments: